GRTU refutes Sylvlia Gauci's claims in court
The GRTU Executive Council has deplored the statements reported last week alluding that top GRTU officials met to agree on a common statement to the Police following the attack on GRTU director general, Vince Farrugia.
The Council issued the reaction following the testimony of witness Sylvia Gauci who said in court that she had lied under oath and wanted to say the truth. She added that she was present for a meeting with top GRTU officials to agree on a common version of facts following the alleged attack by former GRTU official, Sandro Chetcuti, on GRTU director general, Vince Farrugia, on March 11, 2010.
Mr Chetcuti had been originally charged with attempted murder but the charge has since been dropped. He now stands charged for grevious bodily harm. A series of potentially damning messages between Mr Farrugia and deputy GRTU President, Philip Fenech, were also revealed last week by defence lawyer Dr Emmanuel Mallia.
The Council said today that the statements were taken by the Police from every individual who was at the GRTU on the day of the alleged attack. The statements were taken within an hour of the incident and the Council maintained that there was no time for a meeting as referred to by Sylvia Gauci in her testimony in court last week after being called to the witness stand by the defence team of Sandro Chetcuti.
The GRTU officials mentioned by Ms Gauci, namely President Paul Abela, deputy President Philip Fenech, director general Vince Farrugia and Green MT Chief Executive, Joe Attard, categorically denied ever giving instructions, or forced, Sylvia Gauci prior to testifying.
The Council also pointed out that Sylvia Gauci was never employed by the GRTU and until being elected executive secretary of the MCESD she was an elected member of the GRTU Executive Council.