Malta benefitting from European Refugee Funds for food supplies
Malta is benefitting from part of the European Refugee Fund following its successful participation in projects related to the provision of food supplies to third country nationals residing at Safi and Hal-Far detention centres.
These projects are funded through two different Annual Programmes: the European Refugee Fund 2010 Annual Programme and the European Refugee Fund 2011 Annual Programme. Through the latter, one project is being co-financed through the Emergency Measures mechanism.
The EU’s total financial allocation attributed to Malta for these projects under the two Annual Programmes for 2010 and 2011 amounted to €1,055,275.56
Through the ERF 2010 Annual Programme, Malta was eligible for a total amount of €484,037.76 of which €363,028.32 or 75% were funded by the EU, while 25% or €121,009.44 were forked out from national funds. The project covered the period 1 February to 30 June 2012, during which 92,198 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were served to immigrant detainees.
Through the ERF 2011 Annual Programme, Malta was eligible for a total of €571,238, of which 80% or €456.990.40 were financed by the EU, with the remaining balance of 20% or €114,247.60 financed from National Funds. The project covered the period 1 June to 30 November 2011, during which 108,712 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) were served to the detainees.
Special diet meals, as ordered by medical doctors, were also served when necessary.
The European Refugee Fund (ERF) forms part of the General Programme titled Solidarity and Management of Migration Flows. It supports the EU Member States’ efforts in receiving refugees and displaced persons and in guaranteeing access to consistent, fair and effective asylum procedures. The Fund also supports resettlement programmes and actions related to the integration of persons whose stay is of a lasting and stable nature. Moreover, it provides for emergency measures to address sudden arrivals of large numbers of persons who may be in need of international protection, which place significant and urgent demands on the EU States' reception facilities or asylum systems.
The Fund also covers emergency measures aimed at addressing situations of particular pressure.