Updated: €640,000 in restoration work at Gharb
€640,000 of which 90% were financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development under measure 323 while the other 10% derived from national funds were invested in the Project for Cultural and Heritage Conservation of Gharb in Gozo.
Minister for Gozo, Giovanna Debono this morning inaugurated the restoration works being carried out on the Knisja taż-Żejt which forms part of the project. Other restorations also forming part of the project include San Dimitri Chapel, Triq is-Sdieri Bridge, the Cross in Main Square and a number of rubble walls. Through the right use of these funds the Local Council has also managed to put aside finances for the restoration of the Pjazza Żjara tal-Madonna, a war time shelter and the façade of the parish church.
Minister Debono showed her appreciation of the work carried out by the Local Council for the upkeep of the locality of Gharb. “The protection and conservation of cultural heritage shows the dedication of the Gharb Local Counce,” the Minister held, whilst explaining that Gozo heritage always featured prominently on the government’s agenda and mentioned the restoration of the St Cecilia Chapel, the Citadella and Dar il-Gvernatur as examples of this.
€500,000 invested in Gozo football facilities
Whilst visiting the headquarters of the Gozo Football Association (GFA), Minister for Gozo Giovanna Debono explained how the government has budgeted half a million euro for the upgrading of football grounds in Gozo.
Following the upgrades, the island of Gozo will have three full sized football grounds covered in synthetic turf together with a number of smaller ones. The facilities at the Gozo Stadium will also be upgraded including the enhancement of the VIP area.
Minister Debono explained that these upgrades will project a better image of the island particularly when games from the UEFA U/17 Championship will be hosted in Gozo in May 2014.
GFA President Alvin Grech together with various officers from Gozo clubs were also present during the visit.